Tag Archives: DIY project

A simple sewing project- suck pads for a soft structure baby carrier

If we are friends in real life, it’s no secret to you that I have a bit of an obsession with baby carriers. I mostly use woven wraps these days, but I also love love love my Tulas (yes, I have several…mama’s gotta have options!). Similar in concept to the Ergo baby carrier, the Tula is a full buckle carrier. It has more padding than an Ergo, though, and the straps synch tighter to make it more adjustable. Basically, it’s more comfortable and comes in all sorts of fun fabrics. I’m not knocking the Ergo. It was a fabulous carrier until my first baby was about 18 months. At that point, we really needed something more supportive. I bought a toddler-sized Tula and was hooked. Now I’m a Tula girl through and through. Well…in addition to my wraps. Those are a whole different story. 

My newest Tula is called Eiko Quilt. The middle panel features this pretty fabric. 



Seeing as my baby girl loves nothing more than to chew on her Tula straps, those bad boys needed protecting. And since I have barely touched my sewing machine since I found out I was pregnant with baby girl, I needed a simple project to wet my feet again. Suck pads were perfect for that. 

I picked up some Eiko Quilt fabric from Fabric Worm in addition to a coordinating fabric- Eiko Flower Dots. I made the suck pads about 10 x 6.5 inches, although 9 x 6.5 inches would have been fine too. I made them reversible using the two fabrics linked above and included a layer of flannel in the center to add a bit of absorbency. You know. For all that drool. Three coordinating snaps to close them up and they were done. They took about 45 minutes from start to finish, and that was while chatting with my dear blogger friend over at Born Ambitious. Born Imaginative. 

Here’s the finished product. Next time, I might add some ribbon for her to chew on!




DIY Compost Sifter

Here is a project my dear husband and I made together back in June. It’s very very simple, but was my first “wood-working” project since wood shop in the 7th grade (which I believe only ever involved a scroll saw. Definitely not a circular saw or hand drill). My compost pile was pretty much finished and I decided I wanted nothing but the best compost for my front yard raised beds.
Enter: Sifted compost.
I looked at various design ideas on the interwebz and decided on something that would fit over my wheelbarrow so that compost could be sifted directly into it. I also wanted something with handles rather than a square or rectangle to make shaking the sifter over the wheelbarrow a bit easier.
So, we measured the width of our wheelbarrow to determine how long my pieces with handles would be. If I were going to make another sifter, I would extend the handles just a bit, especially on the far end, so that they’d be less likely to slip off the wheelbarrow when you’re shaking the sifter around. Live and learn.
Here’s what I bought to make the sifter:
2- 8 foot 1×4″ pieces of wood
1 roll 1/4-inch hardware cloth
1 package fence staples (like these). These are the kind you hammer in. I wanted something sturdier than a staple gun would provide.
We decided on the width of the sifter based on how much wood was left without having to buy an extra piece of wood.
Here are the cuts I made. Hubs insisted that I be the one to use the circular saw. I’m glad he did because that was one piece of equipment that completely intimidated me and I’d never wanted to touch it before. Now it seems slightly less scary. Or maybe still scary but less foreign.
Then I measured and predrilled holes using a countersink drill bit.
Once everything was drilled together, we measured and cut the hardware cloth with wire cutters and then hammered it in place with fence staples. I told you this was a simple project.
Beautiful black sifted compost! Ready to amend my soil.
I threw the larger pieces back into my compost bin for further composting.
And there you have it! An easy DIY garden project that will really help make your soil rich and beautiful.