The last hat I made for little man was before we left for France when he was 10 months old. Now that he’s 15 months, that hat has long been put into a box of “too small” clothes and my poor little guy has either been going hat-less (gasp!) or wearing a not-so-cute Costco hat that hubby flat out refuses to use (my husband is a stylish guy for those of you who don’t know him). Actually that’s not entirely true, I made him another hat that still fits but has gone missing for the last few weeks. Either way, he was in need of new headwear.
Since fall is upon us, I wanted to use a slightly warmer fabric than the linen I used for his summer hat. I chose some scraps of a knit sweatshirt fabric that I used for this sweater
(another free project! Yay!). However, California fall can mean anything from 50s and rainy to 80s and sunny so he still needs more sun protection than a beanie provides.
I used this bucket hat pattern
from Sew Much Ado
. It’s size 2T, so still a teensy bit big for little man, but it works. I think I’ve finally figured out in my head how to go about making a hat pattern based on his head circumference (thank you basic geometry!), so I might try again after the KCWC is over. In the meantime, though, this will protect his cute little head and it’s cute! I used fusible interfacing on both sides of the fabric to help the hat keep its shape. Did I mention it’s reversible?
Next up for KCWC: Corduroy pants.
Yes, I realize that today is Wednesday and that the challenge started on Monday. But I’m new at this sewing challenge thing and I really don’t know how all the other bloggers with young kiddos are managing to sew AND blog everyday. Rest assured, I have been working on my sewing projects that I laid out in my “to do list post.”
I just haven’t blogged about them yet.
I’ve actually finished a hat, two pairs of longies and a pair of pants so far, but you only get to see the first pair of longies today. If you look back at the picture from my to do list post, you’ll think I cheated and included an already finished item to the group. Well, I did…kind of. I started them on Sunday and still needed to hem them when I took that picture. And since Sunday is technically the first day of the week, they count. 🙂
So basically, these are a simple pair of fleece longies made with scraps I had laying around the house. Last Christmas I made Trevor and his brother Giants blankets and had some leftover fleece, but not enough to do a full blown pair of Giants longies. I think the black pant with Giants waisband is a little more functional for everyday wear anyway.
This is actually the first pattern that I’ve made from scratch just using little man’s measurements! I used this pattern-making tutorial
I found on Diaper Swappers. I’m planning on dyeing some wool interlock to make a couple pairs of wool longies and wanted to test out the pattern on cheap (or in this case free!) fleece before cutting into my very pricey wool. So far, so good.
The pictures I got of little man wearing the longies weren’t the best, so I apologize. He’s quite wiggly these days.
|Short rest break after lots of failed photo session giggles
Next up: A new hat for the little man!
I didn’t get a chance to post my “to do” list for KCWC last night, but here is is. A hat, two sweatshirts, two pairs of longies and one pair of pants. I hope I can get it all done! Forgive me if I’m a little behind in blogging it all this week. I’ll be busy sewing during normal blogging opportunities.
This week is the Kids Clothes Week Challenge in the crafty blogosphere (and hosted by www.elsiemarley.com)! Basically, the challenge is to spend at least an hour a day sewing kids clothes. I decided to participate this year and spent yesterday morning prepping and cutting fabric to make some clothes for little man!
On the sewing docket this week: a new hat, two pairs of longies, two sweatshirts (one for little man and one to give), and a pair of pants. I think I can get through it all and I’m excited to finish some projects I’ve been putting off.
Stay tuned for pictures of finished clothes.